Spoon and Paddle cafe – https://www.facebook.com/spoonandpaddle/
Reviewed by FiFi, January 2018
Situated a stones throw from the main street this cafe was quite the find. When you walked in you were greeted by the waft of fresh food, coffee and smiling faces. There was plenty of seating indoors and picnic style tables outdoors in this converted house turned cafe. There was copious amounts of delicious looking cabinet food or a huge and varied blackboard menu. Most of the sides/extras ranged from $3.50 to $4.50 which is reasonable compared to other cafes and reviews.
The service was simply incredible. The staff took the time to explain certain menu items such as the smoothie combinations, food and coffee. Our food came out quickly and the wait staff were friendly, patient and courteous.
Both dishes looked appealing served on a dark grey plate topped with a smidge of sprouts and rocket.
- The Benedict and Montreal – Both automatically came with tomato relish and rocket.
- The Eggs – were warm, runny and done just how we like them.
- The Bacon – was tasty and crispy.The Salmon – there was just the right amount to compliment the dish.
- The Avocado – we both ordered a side and got half an avocado.
- The Rocket – was fresh and tatsy.
- The Hollandaise – was homemade, creamy and unfortunately the quantity drowned the dish. In saying this, the hollandaise was the highlight of the meal.
- The Muffins – were toasted and were okay.
Would We Go Again?
Absolutely! It may not be on the main street or on the lake front, but it’s definitely on the “must go to again” list.
Style: 6/10 – Classic with a slight twist.
Taste: 8/10 – The hollandaise made the dish. It was obviously freshly made and was so creamy and mouth watering.
Originality: 6/10 – Pretty standard options. We liked the way they came automatically included tomato relish and rocket.
Value: 5/10 – the price was pretty hefty. I liked the way the Benedict (bacon) and Montreal (salmon) were a fixed price – $19.50 is quite steep.
Eggs: 6/10 – were warm and runny. Just how they should be.
Overall score: 7/10
101 Heuheu St, Taupo 3330