Reviewed by FiFi, April 2017
Kinderbear is a family owned cafe whose niche market is people with young ones that need entertaining, some yummy food and drinks. There is an indoor playground that is equipped to keep your little ones occupied whilst you dine indoors. This place reminded me of a ’non-commercialised’ version of Chipmunks. It was more personal and had more of a family feel and vibe to it. The surroundings are vibrant and colourful and the walls are lined with artwork. There is cabinet food available and quite a large menu made up of mainly quick fried options and traditional breakfast fare, nothing gourmet about it. There is a pizza menu and a kids menuThe place is even licensed should you feel like one while you kick back and observe the kids entertaining themselves.
The service was okay but nothing to write home about. the food was hot and came out quickly. I did like the way the kids food came out first.
The food was presented well, perhaps they went a bit overboard trying to swirl the hollandaise but overall the dish looked good. The sprinkling of parsley flakes on the eggs added a dot of colour to the plate.
- The Montreal – was okay. It came out hot and quickly……but taste wise, it was okay.
- The Eggs – were slightly overdone for my liking.
- The Salmon – there was enough of it to satisfy my tastebuds.
- The Hashbrowns – were slightly underdone and not crispy enough.
- The Hollandaise – was straight out of a bottle, however there was just the right amount.
- The Bread – was slightly soggy due to being drowned in hollandaise.
Would We Go Again?
I would for the kids entertainment value but not for the Montreal.
Style: 5/10 – Classic.
Taste: 5/10 – was pretty average.
Originality: 4/10 – Pretty standard.
Value: 6/10 – the prices were pretty reasonable at $16 for the Montreal and $4 for the hash browns.
Overall score: 5/10
136 Jackson St, Petone, Lower Hutt 5012