Cafe Oranje – https://www.zomato.com/wellington/kafe-oranje-plimmerton
Reviewed by FiFi, May 2017
This converted house was historically known as Cafe Vella and they service breakfast, lunch and dinner. There is a beer-keg looking device on the wall that offers free council beer aka H2O which just adds to its quirkiness. There is ample seating inside or outside to chose from. There is loads of scrumptious cabinet food or a large, varied menu. There are three Bene options on the menu. The Benedict (with ham or you can substitute with bacon) or Florentine (with spinach). There is also the ‘Breakfast Tower’ comprised of muffin stack, hash brown, bacon, tomato, poached egg and hollandaise. There is no option to substitute with salmon as they do not carry salmon. Sides are reasonably priced between $2 and $5.
The service was welcoming and friendly. Our meals came out promptly and with a smile.
The black plates we’re a stark contrast to the light lemony coloured sauce that was lovingly drizzled over the eggs. The meal was plated across the plate rather than stacked. They made good use of the space and the lettuce and sprinkling of parsley added some much needed vibrance.
- The Benedict – was lovely and the lettuce gave the dish a refreshing lift.
- The Eggs – one eggs was warm and runny whilst the other was slightly overcooked.
- The ham – was salty yet rich in flavour and tasty.
- The Hash browns – were crispy on the outside and hot and slightly moist on the inside.
- The Lettuce – was crispy and refreshing.
- The Hollandaise – the light, creamy sauce was runny in consistency and buttery in taste.
- The Muffins – were okay but were quite soggy due to the runniness of the sauce.
Would We Go Again?
Yes to try out the Breakfast Tower or see whether they have come to their senses and added salmon to the menu.
Style: 7/10 – Classic with a twist.
Taste: 7/10 – Overall the taste was okay.
Originality: 7/10 – I liked the Breakfast Tower option.
Value: 8/10 – the price is quite good at $16 for the Benes and $17 for the Breakfast Tower.
Eggs: 6/10 – one was slightly overdone.
Overall score: 7/10
12 Steyne Ave, Plimmerton, Porirua 5026