Little and Local Coffee Kitchen https://www.facebook.com/littleandlocal
Reviewed by Karen, July 2016
The cafe had cute appeal with indoor and outdoor dining and on the lovely day we were there we opted for outside. The cafe advertises that it sources locally. Artwork for sale is displayed throughout the cafe. There is an amazing variety of counter food, a blackboard menu and a specials board. They also do gluten-free and vegetarian options.
The service was efficient but not overly friendly. I gained the impression that this was a locals spot and we were clearly not locals. Staff were efficient but somewhat curt. For the bene options you could have the Bene with either Chipotle hollandaise on polenta OR english muffin with salsa OR the Montreal (salmon) on Rye with standard hollandaise with rocket. I wanted a variation which was just a couple of variations to the standard offerings. However, this seemed too difficult for the staff to understand so I ended up with eggs on rye with plain hollandaise, salsa and two small pieces of streaky bacon minus the rocket.
The food was presented nicely but this was overshadowed by the fact that I did not get what I ordered. The salsa added colour and interest to the dish.
- The Benedict – I requested the Montreal style eggs swapping out the salmon for bacon and the standard hollandaise instead of Chipotle. Disappointingly I did not get what I asked for.
- The Eggs – were slightly overcooked.
- The Bacon – the small amount of streaky bacon was cooked fine.
- The Salsa – was colourful on the plate but pretty unexciting really but can’t be faulted for originality.
- The Hollandaise – was fine, and was homemade.
- The Bread – the rye bread was not toasted which was really disappointing.
Would We Go Again?
Don’t know if we would be back but if we did it would not be for the bene.
Style: 6/10 – Classic
Taste: 5/10 – overall this was pretty average.
Originality: 7/10 – The salsa and balsamic reduction added a different dimension in terms of colour and zest to the dish.
Value: 5/10 – for $18.50 for either options this price is about average.
Overall score: 5/10
6/280 Mahurangi East Road, Mahurangi Shopping Centre 0920