Reviewed by FiFi, July 2016
What a wonderful little treasure, essentially in the middle of residential area in a converted house. There is an abundance of seating both indoors and outdoors. There are even sofas to relax in. This place has a homely feel and vibe about it that oozes a friendly, welcoming vibe. There is lots of cabinet food or a great menu to choose from. They have specials such as garlic mussels and a great kids menu. The menu was pretty and original with Maori translations for example the Tamarriki (kids) menu followed by how to pronounce the word in brackets (Tar-ma-ree-key). There is loads of local produce, dishes with a personal twist that are quite unique, vegetarian, Gluten-free and even paleo options to chose from. The menu had four mouth watering ‘Bene’ options! The Benedict (with bacon); the Florentine (with spinach); the Avocado (self-explanatory); and the Eggs Waiwhetu (secret honey-glazed pork belly). All came with two eggs on toast and hollandaise. Whilst salmon was not on the menu you could still chose an extra of a fish fillet. The sides were reasonably priced ranging from $2 to $6.
The staff were incredibly friendly and you could tell that they genuinely enjoyed serving customers. Service like this charms you to the core.
The dish looked okay but really needed a splash of colour to add more overall appeal.
- The Benedict Waiwhetu (pork belly) We have never come across this option before so we both ordered it. Mine with a hash and Zilluntexas with a sausage. We were not disappointed.
- The Eggs – were tasty, warm and runny. Just how we like them.
- The Pork Belly – was cooked to perfection and tasted divine. Due to its richness we found that the quantity was just right.
- The Hashbrown – was crunchy and hot.
- The Sausage – was quite yummy.
- The Hollandaise – homemade ad creamy. I would have liked a wee bit more.
- The Bread – toasted just right with a slight crunch to it.
Would We Go Again?
Without a doubt we will go back.
Style: 10/10 – Original with the Pork Belly option.
Taste: 8/10 – the meal was pretty yummy.
Originality: 10/10 – very unique Benny with Pork Belly.
Value: 8/10 – All 4 Bene options were $16
Eggs: 8/10 – were runny and warm
Overall score: 9/10
58 Guthrie St, Waterloo, Lower Hutt 5011