The White Horse Inn Cafe – https://www.facebook.com/whitehorseinnpalmerstonnorth/
Reviewed by Karen – January 2016
The White Horse is a local tavern that has recently branched out to provide daytime meals too. There is a small lunch / breakfast menu and cabinet food offered in a comfortable surroundings that more resembles home dining style rather than your conventional cafe look and feel.
The service was friendly and speedy and they were open to my ‘instructions’ on how I liked my coffee made.
The plating could do with some sprucing up such as the application of the sauce, however the wee sprig of oregano did lift the appearance of the dish.
- The Benedict – Sometimes you just want a low key breakfast without cooking it yourself or without being in a bust town or city. This was one of those occasions, home cooked style, no fuss, but a nice hearty meal and reasonable pricing.
- The Eggs – were definitely free-range. Very yellow yoke gave this away.
- The Bacon – I did wonder if the bacon was home cured. There was a good amount and it was tasty.
- The Hollandaise – very small portion of bottled sauce, but that’s preferred to being drowned in sauce.
- The Muffins – were good just right and were crunchy.
Would we go again?
Would probably go back, if not for the sheer convenience and location of the place.
Style: Classic 5/10.
Taste: 6/10. The meal was great.
Originality: 4/10 – They could do with building their menu options.
Value: 8/10. $15 which is pretty reasonable for the quantity.
Eggs: (how good they were): 6/10.
Overall score: 6/10
Location: 2180 State Highway 56, Longburn, Palmerston North