Reviewed by Karen – January 2016
This was a nice surprise. Cafe 40 is a small wee cafe in Palmerston North’s cafe central. There is seating inside with a few tables and chairs outside. The options are made up of cabinet food and a blackboard menu. I was also surprised and pleased to receive a good coffee. You really can’t judge a book by it’s cover.
The service was prompt and friendly.
The plating was okay, nothing flash.
- The Benedict – good portion size although nothing flash.
- The eggs – were good.
- The bacon – good amount of bacon.
- The spinach – was okay, slightly underdone to be called wilted spinach.
- The hollandaise – homemade, and just the right amount.
- The bread – slightly undercooked and cold.
Would we go again?
Wouldn’t rush back again necessarily, but no complaints.
Style: Classic 6/10.
Taste: 6/10. The meal was great.
Originality: 5/10 – Their bene automatically comes with tomato on the side.
Value: 5/10. $16 from memory which included tomato on the side, the spinach was extra.
Eggs: (how good they were): 6/10.
Overall score: 6.5/10
32 George Street, Palmerston North