Hatuma Cafe – https://www.facebook.com/Hatuma-cafe-598684060155078/
Reviewed by Fi Fi – October 2015
Located just west of Waipukurau, this quaint cafe has indoor and both covered and uncovered outdoor seating. There was a wee bit of cabinet food or a blackboard menu that ranged from breakfast type food to burgers, nachos etc. The prices are very reasonable.
The staff were welcoming and chatty. They smiled and were friendly and engaging.
The food was plated up nicely and looked inviting.
- The Montreal – I think this nice wee roadside cafe has made an attempt to modernise its menu. This was not the finest Montreal I have had, but it was okay-ish.
- The eggs – were not great. They were fried! Who fries eggs for benes? Sadly you can tell the cook used ‘egg rings’, fried the eggs, and they were not runny.
- The salmon – lots of salmon.
- The hollandaise – straight out of the bottle so disappointing.
- The muffins – were a bit soggy with far too much butter on them for my liking.
Would we go again?
No I wouldn’t. Roadside cafes on the outskirts of wee towns need to make the stop worth it, this cafe did not have that wow factor, and therefore i would rather continue on to the next stop.
Style: Classic 5/10. There was no option for the Florentine (spinach), but the Benedict had a choice of ham or bacon and there was the Montreal (salmon) available as well.
Taste: 4/10. The taste was very average. I did not eat it all.
Originality: 5/10 – nothing special here.
Value: 7/10. $15.00 for either the Benedict or Montreal. And the Hash brown was $3 which is about average for extras.
Eggs: (how good they were): 2/10.
Overall score: 4/10
Location: 2398 Takapau Road, Waipukurau