Reviewed by Karen – October 2015
This cafe has a large seating area both inside the cafe and outside in the mall. There is a huge amount of cabinet food, a blackboard menu and all day breakfast. They also have gluten-free and vegetarian options. The food is nothing fancy but for a quick eatable brunch while at the mall this was quite acceptable.
The service was slow and dithery but the food arrived pretty quickly.
Nothing fancy about the plating but a nice wee surprise when it came out and included hash browns. The lettuce, although it added colour and contrast to the dish, looked slightly out of place.
- The Benedict – This was a basic ‘home-cooked’ style bene.
- The eggs – were slightly overcooked for my liking.
- The bacon – was the only option available (i.e. no Montreal option). The serving size was plentiful.
- The hash browns – came as part of the dish. They were okay.
- The hollandaise – not homemade and you can tell by its lack of full bodied lemony, creamy flavour.
- The muffins – were okay.
Would we go again?
Would unlikely be back but I don’t think I was the target market of this place which seems more aimed at an older clientele if those present during my visit were any indication. Would possibly return if I had my folks with me as I think they would feel comfortable there.
Style: Classic 5/10.
Taste: 5/10. The meal was great.
Originality: 5/10 – Their bene automatically comes with hash browns. No Florentine or Montreal options.
Value: 5/10. $17
Eggs: (how good they were): 5/10.
Overall score: 5/10
Shop 87, The Plaza, Palmerston North