Columbus Cafe in the Plaza – http://www.columbuscoffee.co.nz/
Reviewed by Karen – October 2015
This is a typical mall cafe with lots of cabinet food and a reasonably varied menu. There is a great kids menu. Columbus is part of a franchise so they have quite a large presence throughout the country. You can get free coffees as part of their reward system and there is even a kids club for the little ones. They also do catering and offer lots of vegetarian, dairy-free, raw, gluten-free, paleo and even do refined sugar-free options. What these mall cafes lack is a ‘vibe’ to set them apart from other cafes. There was nothing spectacular about the plating or this meal, but there is also no reason not to give it another try. You could chose from either bacon or salmon.
Fast, friendly service.
The food was plated up nicely, but was overwhelmed by the over-generous lashings of hollandaise. The hint of spinach and greenery on top added colour and depth to the dish.
- The Benedict – nothing overly exciting, but still tasty and hot. I liked that the spinach came as part of the meal and I did not have to pay extra for it.
- The eggs – were runny, one slightly underdone but I do prefer that to being too firm or overcooked.
- The bacon – there were 3 pieces of bacon.
- The spinach – a good quantity of spinach.
- The hollandaise – I wish I had requested the sauce on the side as my dished was drowned by hollandaise, otherwise no complaints with the taste which was homemade and lemony.
- The bread – slightly disappointed by the bread.
Would we go again?
When shopping at the plaza there is nothing better than the chance to stop for a wee eggs bene and this hit the spot, so yes we would go again.
Style: Classic 6/10.
Taste: 6/10. The meal was okay.
Originality: 5/10 – Their bene automatically comes with spinach.
Value: 6/10. $18.00
Eggs: (how good they were): 6/10.
Overall score: 6/10
Shop 34, 84 The Square, Palmerston North