Cure Cafe – http://www.curecafe.co.nz/
Reviewed by Fi Fi – June 2015
This wee cafe is tucked away at the bottom of High Street and easy to miss if you don’t know its whereabouts. They have every dietary requirement this side of the black stump. They have Gluten Free, Dairy Free, Vegetarian, Vegan, Low Fat, Low Carb, High Protein, Low Food Map, cabinet food and a kids menu! They even do catering and have can do BYO. This quaint little cafe has lots of art on the walls to admire and buy. What it lacks is a vibe. Its,well, a bit, meh! There is plenty of seating inside and outside and the music is at just the right volume so there is heaps going for this cafe.
The staff were friendly and the service was super quick.
I think they waved a bit of pepper across the food to try and give it a bit a pizzazz that just didn’t quite suffice.
- The Benedict and Montreal – the food was well prepared and reasonably tasty, it just lacked personality.
- The eggs – they were free-range, runny and warm.
- The ham – the ham was just a couple of slices of ham. When places advertise ‘ham off the bone’ I always imagine thick chunks of ham, not sliced ham you can get at any deli at countdown.
- The sausage – the kransky’s were chunky and flavoursome.
- The hash browns – these were homemade and frankly delightful!
- The hollandaise – was homemade, and by far the most memorable part of the dish. The colour and texture were divine and it was simply buttery and zesty at the same time.
- The muffins – were okay, nothing special.
Would we go again?
I would go again if I was in the area. I would not specifically drive to this cafe for another review though.
Style: Classic 6/10.
Taste: 6/10. The meal was good, nothing special.
Originality: 5/10 – Just nothing exciting to write home about I’m afraid.
Value: 8/10. The Benedict (ham off the bone) or Florentine are $15.50 or the Montreal (salmon) is $17.50 which is pretty standard. The sides range from $2.50 to $4 which is pretty reasonable.
Eggs: (how good they were): 6/10.
Overall score: 6/10
36 High Street, Lower Hutt