Bethany’s Restaurant and Cafe – http://www.bethanys.co.nz/
Reviewed by Karen – May 2015
We have reviewed this cafe before, however their bene has changed, hence the refreshed review. The cafe and people are genuine and the cafe is named in honour of one of their daughters who sadly passed away many years ago. There is ample seating inside and outside and you can also hire the place for functions. The view over the Square is simply marvellous during the daytime lunch rush or night time dinner. There is a huge variety of cabinet food and many varied menus to cater for every taste bud / dietary requirements. It must be noted that the children’s menu is amazing and doesn’t just have xxx and chips. Kids get a drink, main and dessert for $14, that’s pretty good value. Kids can chose from a panini, pasta, good old fish and chips or a hash stack. The only downside I can think of is that the place is pretty open. The coffee making is pretty loud and reverberated throughout the space drowning out some of our conversation. There is also a beautiful dinner menu which you can accompany with some wine or even BYO.
The service was friendly and speedy so no complaints.
Plating up was pretty unimpressive.
- The Benedict – The overall dish was cooked just right and the quantity was large, the whole flavour came together, especially with the avocado tucked between the bacon and eggs. This extra surprise made the entire dish stand out above others that I have eaten elsewhere.
- The eggs – were runny and warm.
- The bacon – was crisp, tasty and just the right amount.
- The hollandaise – was homemade, and just the right amount.
- The muffins – toasted, they were good.
Would we go again?
Yes, and this is a place that I have been to a number of times.
Style: Classic 7/10.
Taste: 8/10. The meal was great, plentiful and tasty.
Originality: 8/10 – Their bene comes with tomato, avocado, roast portobello mushroom and oven roast tomato, plus muffin, eggs, hollandaise and then a choice of either Florentine (spinach), Montreal (salmon) or Benedict (bacon).
Value: 10/10. All three choices were $17 each. This is very good value considering all the food you get for this price!
Eggs: (how good they were): 8/10.
Overall score: 8/10
32A The Square, Palmerston North.