Coene’s – http://coenes.co.nz/
Reviewed by Fi Fi – March 2015
It’s a really lovely setting with uninterrupted views of the water. The sea air smells fresh and inviting. There is plenty of seating inside or outside. At the time of our dining experience the weekend menu was not up on the website, and some of our party missed out on what they checked out on the internet. I note that the weekend menu is now posted on the website. There are plenty of options from burgers, fresh fish to salads or sandwiches or even a bowl of muesli.
The service was unbelievably slow and sloppy. The waitress did mention that one of the ovens was broken, however this really could not excuse the slowness of delivering our drinks. The food took nearly an hour to get to our table.
The food looked like it had been thrown together and not ‘plated’ as such.
- The Montreal – Overall the actual meal tasted fabulous. I have factored in the slack slow service and less than ideal presentation with the 50% discount. The actual meal itself tasted great.
- The Muffins – were okay, nothing exciting.
- The eggs – The free-range eggs tasted farm fresh and were nice and runny.
- The salmon – beautifully cooked salmon steak, very delicious.
- The Avocado – the smashed avocado was plentiful, tasty and added a different texture and a bit of colour to the dish. This cost $4 which is pretty standard for a side. I got this option as they had run out of the rosti.
- The hollandaise – Homemade and rivalled the salmon for tastiness and yumminess.
Would we go again?
We would go again and give them a chance, what redeemed this place is that they recognised that we had been given bad service and gave our whole party 50% off all our food and drinks.
Style: Classic 6/10.
Value: 4/10. The bene option was $17, mine was substituted with salmon which added on another $4 for the side of avocado which came to $25…..luckily we got a 50% discount which meant mine came to $12.50.
Eggs: (how good they were): 7/10
Overall score: 7/10
103 Oriental Parade, Wellington