Cafe Royale – http://www.caferoyale.co.nz/
Reviewed by Karen – October 2014
There is live music, craft beers and most of their food is carefully sourced from around the Palmerston North area. There are open mic nights, Jazz nights, Mine Craft, Southern BBQ nights, you name it and this place caters for it! They even have a Blog with loads of info ranging from where they source their coffee beans to sourdough recipes. There is plenty to chose from with the vast and varied menu options. There is vegan, gluten free and the bacon, Pork sausages and ham are free range. This place is licensed should you want a vino with your meal. The menu caters for every taste bud imaginable such as brekkie type dishes to soups, salads, stir fries, burgers, sandwiches, pizza’s, curries etc.
The service was quick and friendly.
The dish looked very inviting with a sprinkle of herbs on the top just to add a pinch of colour.
- The Benedict – The food was good, nothing to rave about, but still good.
- The bacon – was free-range bacon, it was tasty, plenty and cooked to perfection
- The bread – Homemade sourdough – done to satisfaction.
- The eggs – Free-range eggs. Done to perfection.
- The Spinach – Cost $3.50 extra which is reasonable for a side and it tasted great.
- The hollandaise – Homemade, thick, creamy, great colour and taste. Although my dish was drowning in it!
Would we go again?
Yes we would.
Style: Classic 6/10.
Originality: 8/10 – For the Bene about a 6. But the options are pretty great here. You can get either free-range ham or bacon. There’s also a Bene type dish called the Eggs Hebridean $18.50: poached free range eggs, bacon & black pudding on toast, with hollandaise…. Or you could get the Chorizo hash $12.50; Woody’s Farm chorizo, potatoes and onion topped with a poached egg…and add Hollandaise for $3.50.
Value: 8/10. The Florentine is $14.50, the bene is $16, and the Montreal is $18.50. The sides are value for money ranging from $3.50 to $4.50.
Eggs: (how good they were): 7/10. They were free range which made them quite tasty.
Overall score: 7/10
47 The Square, Palmerston North