Columbus Mitre 10 Mega – http://www.columbuscoffee.co.nz/cafe/columbus-mitre-10-mega-porirua
Reviewed by Fi Fi – October 2014
You can sit inside the cafe or outside the cafe which overlooks a wee indoor children’s playground. There is plenty of counter food as well as a huge menu such as tacos, omelettes, salads, wraps, burgers, cakes etc. They cater for your little ones with a kid’s menu. The coffee is not what I consider to be world class. It is nice to be able to have brunch and then wonder around the huge store afterwards.
The service was very average, and our meals took ages to come out.
The layout of the dish was nice but nothing fancy.
- The Montreal – it was okay, certainly not memorable. Overall the dish was fairly bland.
- The bread – pretty tasteless and forgettable.
- The eggs – were a bit overdone for my liking.
- The Spinach – came as part of the dish and not a side. The spinach was very good, not overcooked.
- The salmon – was okay but not much of it.
- The hollandaise – straight out of the bottle.
Would we go again?
We would not make a special trip just to visit this cafe. Perhaps we would stop in if we were shopping at the Mitre 10 and wanted a nibble, but I wouldn’t pay for the Montreal here again.
Style: Classic 6/10. I like the way it automatically came with spinach.
Taste: 5/10. The taste was pretty bland.
Originality: 5/10 – It’s the pretty standard selection of either Salmon or Bacon.
Value: 6/10. The Benedict with Spinach is $17 and the Montreal with Spinach is $18. Sides range from $3 to $6.
Eggs: (how good they were): 5/10. They were overdone and not runny.
Overall score: 5/10
2 Semple Street, Porirua