The Herb Farm and Cafe – http://herbfarm.co.nz/pages/cafe
Reviewed by Karen – August 2014
This place is way off the beaten track. The setting is beautiful and relaxing. There is vegetarian and gluten free options to choose from. There is even a kids menu. The place is licensed in case you want a vino with your bene.There is also a herb garden to wander around and a lovely little store selling goodies. They even do weddings and functions and cater for up to about 40 guests. The cafe is under new ownership since my last visit.
The service was friendly and efficient.
The food was beautifully presented with fresh rosemary as a garnish.
- The Benedict – overall it did not disappoint.
- The Bread – they served delicious ciabbata.
- The eggs – free-range, tasty and yellow. But overcooked.
- The Spinach – A few leaves of spinach were included but this was more of an aesthetic feature than an actual side.
- The bacon – was nicely cooked, and I must mention that it is free-range.
- The hollandaise – homemade, plentiful and full bodied flavour.
Would we go again?
Yes, we would come here again.
Style: Classic 7/10.
Taste: 8/10. The taste was yummy.
Originality: 7/10 – You can get a choice of either free-range Bacon, Salmon or Herb-roasted Mushrooms.
Value: 8/10. It’s pretty reasonable here. The Benedict, Montreal or Mushroom are all $16.90.
Eggs: (how good they were): 6/10. They were free-range and rich golden in colour and flavoursome. Unfortunately they were slightly overdone for my liking, and the yoke was hard.
Overall score: 7/10
82 Grove Road, Ashurst