Crafty Tavern – http://www.localist.co.nz/l/craftytavern
Reviewed by Fi Fi – January 2014
This is essentially what I would describe as a bar, not a cafe. It’s in Courtenay Place so it’s a great location especially if you are on foot, and you can sit inside or outside. It was a pleasant atmosphere. The coffee was okay and came out pretty fast. You just find your own table and they come over and give you menus and take your order at the table.
The service was good and the staff seemed nice and friendly. The staff brought us over water and menus which was great.
As you can see from the photos – the Benedict and Montreal looked quite yummy.
- The Benedict and Montreal – were pretty average.
- The bacon – was okay but nothing to get excited about.
- The salmon – was good and there was plenty of it.
- The eggs – were okay…nothing to jump for joy about.
- The spinach – was downright awful actually. It was beyond ‘wiltered’, and it was unbelievably stringy….it didn’t get eaten.
- The english muffins – were pretty average.
- The hollandaise – was straight out of the bottle and fairly tasteless. There wasn’t very much of it on the Benedict.
Would we go again?
No, not for the Eggs Benedict or Eggs Montreal. Yes for a burger, the Nachos or even for a beer. The prices are really reasonable. The burgers looked really delicious.
Style: Classic 3/10
Originality: 3/10 – the ‘nothing over $15’ brunch menu is great. Both dishes came with spinach which means they were actually a Montreal/Florentine and a Benedict/Florentine.
Value: 6/10 It was cheap at $15, but it looked and tasted cheap….. I would rather spend a bit more and get something more memorable.
Eggs: (how good they were): 3/10
Overall score: 3/10
1 Courtenay Place, Te Aro, Wellington