Chocolate Dayz Cafe –http://www.chocolatedayzcafe.co.nz/
Reviewed by Karen and Fi Fi – March 2014
This cafe has one of the best views you could possibly want in your quest to find the perfect Montreal and/or Benedict. It’s right across the road from the beach and you can see right across the harbour. You can choose where you want to sit, and you can sit inside or enjoy the fresh sea air outside. The menu’s are at the counter and you order up there too. They do not charge a surcharge on public holidays which is great. There is food in the cabinets or a menu to choose from. There are plenty of options for kids as well. The offer the Eggs Benedict, Montreal or Florentine.
The service was pretty good. The counter staff were friendly and smiled. The waiting staff were also great. The coffee was nice as well. The food came out really fast.
As you can see from the photos – the food looked great. The lemon was a nice touch.
- The Benedict and the Montreal – were a disappointment.
- The Benedict – had slices of ham instead of bacon, and it was cold and not really a lot of it. It would be a good idea to be able to choose bacon or ham. At least the ham was ham off the bone instead of sliced ham.
- The salmon – was tasty but it would have been nice to have more of it, and it was cold.
- The bread – looked good but it was not toasted. It tasted pretty average uncooked and it was cold.
- The eggs – One egg was still fairly raw and gooey. Both eggs were literally cold and this ruined the whole experience.
- The hash browns – were the only hot things on the plate.
- The hollandaise – the sauce was saved by the fact that it was accompanied by a lemon wedge which added some much needed zest to the dish.
Would we go again?
Not for the Benedict or Montreal. Definitely yes for the other counter food or the pancakes and for the coffee and view.
Style: Classic 4/10
Value: 6/10 Can’t remember the price but do remember that it was about $16-$18 plus $3-$4 for the hash browns.
Eggs: (how good they were): 2/10
Overall score: 3/10
614 Marine Drive, Days Bay, Wellington