Reviewed by FiFi, January 2020
There is a lot of indoor seating an an abundance of outdoor courtyard seating. There is a huge variety of scrumptious cabinet food to select from, vegetarian, Vegan, gluten-free, dairy-free and a large blackboard menu. There was only one Bene option on the menu and they called it a Florentine (spinach). I would have called it a Montreal (salmon). There is bacon and spinach so I am sure that they would let you build your own. Sides were all $5. The atmosphere is very relaxing and the outdoor courtyard area is lovely.
The staff were extremely friendly and chatty. The waiter chatted to us and made us feel very welcome. Our drinks came out in no time and it was one of the fanciest coffees I have ever had served to me. I appreciated that the kids meal came out about 5 minutes before ours.
The crisp white plate was elegant and helped to balance the busyness of the dish. The ingredients were a wee bit spaced out and took up all the real estate on the plate. The layering could have been improved by stacking the hash browns on top of the toast. The sprinkle of parsley added a nice wee garnish. Overall, it looked just okay.
- The Montreal – the meal was hearty but nothing fancy. Huge portion size though.
- The Eggs – the eggs were poached well and were warm and runny.
- The Salmon – was smoky and tender.
- The avocado – the buttery avocado was plentiful and delicious.
- The Hash browns – were a bit on the soggy, oily side.
- The Spinach – was way overcooked and soggy.
- The Hollandaise – was the highlight of the dish. It creamy colour matched its flavour and texture.
- The bread – was okay but nothing special.
Would We Go Again?
Yes, the outdoor courtyard dining was a great setting, the food, coffee and service was lovely.
Style: 6/10 – Classic.
Taste: 6/10 – the meals tasted great.
Originality: 4/10 – Nothing noteworthy in terms of benes.
Value: 7/10 – the Montreal (salmon) was quite pricy at $23. Sides were all $5.
Overall score: 6/10