Gasworks – https://thegasworks.co.nz/
Reviewed by FiFi, January 2020
There is an amazing amount of indoor and outdoor seating here. There is vegetarian, gluten-free, dairy-free and a large blackboard menu. There are three Bene options one the menu. The Benedict (bacon), the Florentine (with spinach) or the Workers Hash (house-made pulled pork). You could also build your own Montreal (with salmon) which is exactly what I did. Sides range from $2 to $6. The atmosphere, decor and furnishings were very typical modern ‘pub’.
The staff were okay but it did feel like we were a bit of an inconvenience. We came in around 1:30pm on a weekday after the lunchtime rush so I personally thought we would get better service.
Good attempt of layering the food but it just came off as try hard. The plate itself made good a foundation and I liked the way they all didn’t clinically match. The application of hollandaise was OTT and almost drowned the taste of the food. Overall, it looked nice, but nothing special.
- The Montreal – the meal was okay, but nothing memorable.
- The Eggs – the eggs were slightly overdone and not as runny as I like them.
- The Salmon – was smoky and slightly oily, just a shame it was such a small portion.
- The Spinach – was slightly overcooked but was still sweet.
- The Hollandaise – was rather ‘gluggy’ and disappointing.
- The Bread – the ciabatta was toasted nicely.
Would We Go Again?
I would give this place another whirl to try their Belly Benedict, which I believe has replaced the Workers Hash (pulled-pork hash).
Style: 6/10 – Classic.
Taste: 5/10 – the meal tasted okay.
Originality: 7/10 – The pork option was a bit different.
Value: 7/10 – the Benedict (bacon) was $17, the Florentine (spinach) was $17, the Workers hash (pulled pork) was $18 and the Montreal (salmon) was $18. Sides range from $2 to $6.
Overall score: 6/10
11 Tauhinu Road, Miramar, Wellington 6022