Chillax Espresso – https://m.facebook.com/124churchilldrive/
Reviewed by FiFi, March 2019
This cafe is situated right next to the entry of a iddy biddy suburban mall. There is a small amount of tables inside and a few outside. There is a huge selection of cabinet food to chose from, a kids menu, burgers, salads, vegetarian, soy, soups and other yummy menu options. There are two Bene options to chose from. The Benedict (with bacon) or the Montreal (with salmon). However you could easily build your own Florentine (spinach) or extend the Avocado Smash with hollandaise and create another pleasing option. Sides range from $3 to $4. I felt this place lacked any type of vibe.
The staff were very friendly and spent the time to chat and ask how our day was going. Our coffees came out speedily and our food followed quickly behind.
There was a deliberate emphasis on the layering of the ingredients that showcased the various colours and textures of the food. The sprinkle of sprouts added a wee spritz of vibrancy and gave a tangy zest to the dish. Overall, or dishes looked , but not mind-blowing.
- The Benedict and Montreal – we were quite surprised at how good they looked and tasted.
- The Eggs – the eggs were runny and warm. They were poached perfectly.
- The Bacon – the bacon was salty and savoury and there was enough to appease the appetite.
- The Salmon – was okay and there was a token amount to give the smoky and slightly oily flavour that I have become accustomed to with this dish.
- The avocado – there was a good portion of it and it tasted buttery and slightly nutty.
- The Spinach – wasn’t cooked but it didn’t matter as it wasn’t bitter and added an injection of flavour to the dish.
- The Hollandaise – the home-made sauce had an ochre tinge to it and had rich fullness to its flavour.
- The Bread – the linseed sourdough was quite tasty.
Would We Go Again?
We wouldn’t go out of our way to go there, but if we were in the area and it was around brunch time then we would pop in again.
Style: 5/10 – Classic.
Taste: 6/10 – our meals were surprisingly awesome.
Originality: 5/10 – nothing special on offer here.
Value: 7/10 – the Benes were averagely priced at $16 for the Benedict (bacon) or $17.50 for the Montreal (salmon). Sides range from $3 to $4.
Overall score: 6/10
124 Churchill Drive, Crofton Downs, Wellintgon 6035