Revive Expresso – http://www.revive-espresso.co.nz/
Reviewed by FiFi, August 2016
This modern, open, airy cafe offers loads of indoor and outdoor seating. It’s tucked away from the hub bub of the main street, yet so close. There are options galore in the cabinet or multiple menu options that includes vegetarian, free-range eggs and chicken and organic. One of the options that resembled a bene was only one ingredient shy. It came with manukau smoked bacon, eggs, bread and basil pesto. I substituted the bacon for salmon (at the same price) and added hollandaise for $2 extra and voila – I got myself a perfect Montreal (salmon). The sides listed on the menu ranged from $4 to $6. The other option was the house smoked fish cakes with poached eggs, hollandaise, rocket and lemon.
You can tell from the moment you walk in that the staff are well equipped and trained to cater for large crowds. Our meals came out almost before we ordered them. The wait staff were patient (with the two kids we were with) and genuinely friendly and helpful as they assisted me to work out how I could order my beloved Montreal.
My meal was presented okay but it could have been plated to look more appealing. The colour of the avocado added another shade of green but it looked obviously spooned from a bowl. The little greenery atop of the eggs garnished the dish and gave it a little kick. I think a tad more attention to detail will uplift the overall presentation up a level.
- The Montreal – was yummy.
- The Eggs – the free-range eggs tasted delicious and were warm and runny. Just how they should be.
- The Salmon – was rich and smoky. I was surprised at the small quantity.
- The Avocado – although creamy and smooth I was disappointed with the minuscule quantity for the $4 price tag.
- The Pesto – had a lovely nutty flavour and texture.
- The Hollandaise – I prefer the hollandaise to be drizzled on the eggs inside of in a wee side plate. In saying this, it was delicious and full-flavoured.
- The Bread – the multigrain bread was toasty, crunchy and warm.
Would We Go Again?
Yes we would. The service was great and the food was fresh and tasty.
Style: 7/10 – Classic.
Taste: 7/10 – the pesto lifted the overall flavour combination.
Originality: 8/10 – the pesto was zingy. The fishcake option is quite unique.
Value: 8/10 – for $15.50 I substituted the bacon with salmon and added hollandaise which bumped the price to $17.50. The smoked fish cake option was $18.
Eggs: 7/10 – tasty, free-range eggs.
Overall score: 6/10
2 Lochy St, Petone, Lower Hutt 5012