Cafe Figg – https://www.facebook.com/CafeFigg/
Reviewed by Karen and FiFi, September 2017
This place is hip and has a real trendy vibe right in the heart of Petone’s shopping area. Its compact but nonetheless there is a lot of indoor and outdoor seating. The cabinet food looks and smells tempting and there is a huge menu to chose from. They offer free-range eggs, gluten-free, dairy-free and vegetarian options. Additionally, some of the options come in full or half sizes so great for the kids or smaller appetites. There are a number of Bene options. The first one is the hash stack. This comprises of either bacon or salmon, eggs, creamy mushrooms and hollandaise. The other option on the menu is their famous ‘bene’. It comes with your choice of 2 (salmon, bacon, ham, spinach, mushrooms), eggs, hash, english muffins and hollandaise.
The staff were warm, friendly and patient despite the lunch time rush. Our food came out fairly quickly and was delivered with a smile.
The crisp white crockery made the food stand out and gave it a sense of vibrance. The crispy brown hash against the mustardy-coloured sauce trickled over the eggs and greenery complimented the subtle layering of the ingredients.
- The Benedict and Montreal – our meals were bursting with flavour.
- The Eggs – the free-range eggs were softly poached, runny and warm.
- The Bacon – was salty and smoky. Would have preferred a tad more though.
- The Salmon – was rich yet tender and the amount was spot on.
- The Hashbrowns – were crispy on the outside and soft on the inside.
- The Spinach – was wilted just right.
- The Hollandaise – was velvety and its slight buttery flavour melted in your mouth.
- The English Muffins – were browned and toasted with a slight crunch.
Would We Go Again?
We would go again. I would love to try the hash stack.
Style: 8/10 – Classic with options that automatically included a hash brown.
Taste: 9/10 – our food was very memorable and rich with flavour.
Originality: 8/10 – the hash stack sounded amazing and it was great how you could chose your combination.
Value: 10/10 – all options were $16 which is a bargain for what you get.
Eggs: 9/10 – poached to perfection.
Overall score: 9/10
196 Jackson Street, Petone 5012