Karori park cafe – https://www.facebook.com/karoriparkcafe/
Reviewed by FiFi, June 2016
This place is very much a ‘club rooms’ converted into a cafe. It’s got a friendly atmosphere and feels like its the ‘hub’ of the grounds, but it’s not your ‘typical’ cafe. There is ample seating inside and outside. This cafe overlooks a sports ground and today there was football going on outside which was lovely to observe while we dined. There was plenty of variety on offer in the cabinets along with a great blackboard menu. There was a great kids menu with offerings such as nachos, fish and chips, pancakes, mince on toast, burgers and salads. The place was abuzz with family and supporters as well as the occasional punters such as us who were here just for some brunch time grub.
The staff was friendly and our meals came out very quickly which surprised me given how many customers were here to dine.
The food looked ‘hearty’, nothing overly flash but still appealing to the eye.
- The Benedict and Montreal – we both enjoyed our meals. They were tasty and hot. They were simple but still had substance
- The Eggs – were runny and warm, just right!
- The Bacon – was great, although quite a small servin
- The Salmon – the portion size was small, but for the price, I could hardly complain!
- The Hashbrown – was simply delicious
- The Spinach – came as part of the dish with the Montreal
- The Hollandaise – homemade and tasty!
- The Bread – the sourdough was crispy and cooked to perfection
Would We Go Again?
Yes, we would pop in again if we were in the area, but we would not go out of our way to specifically come here.
Style: 5/10 – Classic
Taste: 6/10 – The meal was enjoyable.
Originality: 5/10 – Their Montreal automatically comes with spinach. It added a splash of colour to the dish.
Value: 8/10 – The prices are cheap. The sides range from $2 to $4. $15 for the Benedict (choice of either bacon or ham) or $16 for the Royale/Montreal (salmon).
Overall score: 6/10
400 Karori Rd, Karori, Wellington 6012