Strathmore Bakery and Cafe – https://www.facebook.com/pages/strathmore-bakery-and-cafe/163645470360330
Reviewed by Fi Fi – December 2015
The majority of seating is inside. The atmosphere feels like the cafe part of this establishment was an afterthought. The tables, although clean, look like they are in desperate need of an upgrade. There is quite a lot of cabinet food to chose from. Overall, this place was okay, but nothing great. The coffee was good though and worth a mention.
The staff and service were okay, nothing memorable.
The food was plated up reasonable well. The peppering of parsley and wedge of lemon added some much needed colour to the dish.
- The Benedict and Montreal – Overall, they were okay, nothing exciting.
- The eggs – free-range eggs tasted delicious, although slightly overdone.
- The ham – was pretty tasty.
- The salmon – straight from the packet and fridge, which meant that it quickly cooled the eggs down.
- The hollandaise – straight from the bottle, always disappointing!
- The muffins – were pretty bland and non eventful.
Would we go again?
No, would give this a miss. This place screams ‘okay’. Would rather try my luck at somewhere new.
Style: Classic 5/10.
Taste: 5/10. The meal lacked substance.
Originality: 5/10 – You can chose from either Ham, Spinach, Bacon or salmon
Value: 7/10. Benedict with ham is $14 or with bacon is $17, Montreal with Salmon is $16 and Florentine with Spinach is $15. The sides range from $2 for grilled tomatoes to $5 for a fresh green salad.
Eggs: (how good they were): 5/10.
Overall score: 5/10
501 Broadway, Strathmore Park, Wellington