MLC Cafe and Bar – s://www.zomato.com/auckland/mlc-cafe-bar-scenic-hotel-queen-street
Reviewed by Fi Fi – February 2016
Most of the tables and chairs are inside with just a couple of spots for outdoor dining. There is a great lunchtime menu with $10 specials. The food overall is pretty tasty and the portion sizes are generous. This cafe is good for quick dining but lacks any real vibe. I have dined here a number of times for the quick service and value for money $10 options. There is also a large amount of cabinet food and hot options. There is buffet available as well.
The service is quick and the staff are friendly and welcoming.
The food was plated up well.
- The Montreal – overall the dish was okay. I thought that the dish lacked substance, and was quite expensive for the portion size.
- The eggs – free-range, runny and warm.
- The salmon – was good, there was not much of it.
- The spinach – there was a tiny bit of spinach which added some much needed colour to the dish.
- The hollandaise – homemade, with a soft hint of lemon.
- The bread – the ciabatta was thick and crunchy.
Would we go again?
Not for the Montreal, but definitely for the $10 lunch options.
Style: Classic 6/10.
Taste: 7/10. The meal was okay, nothing special.
Originality: 5/10 – I liked the way there was a vegetarian option other than the Florentine.
Value: 5/10. $18.50 is pretty pricy for all the options, but standard for the Montreal. The Montreal (salmon), Florentine (seared spinach), Benedict (streaky bacon) and Mushrooms all come with eggs, ciabatta and lemon hollandaise.
Eggs: (how good they were): 6/10.
Overall score: 6/10
380 Queen Street, Auckland.