Bookmark Cafe – http://www.bookmarkcafe.co.nz/
Reviewed by Karen – January 2016
Bookmark Cafe is located within Paper Plus in the heart of Feilding. You can browse the bookshelves whilst waiting for your coffee or sit in the relaxed atmosphere surrounded by books. This cafe offers gluten free, dairy free and they are also nut free. The background music could do with being a bit more background but no other complaints than that.
The service was friendly and speedy.
The plating was done cleverly to discretely hide the fact that one egg was a bit less tidy looking than the other.
- The Benedict – The meal was okay.
- The Eggs – were done nicely.
- The Bacon – cooked well and the quantity was fine.
- The Spinach – the spinach came with the dish. It was cooked well and not too soggy.
- The Hollandaise – was covering the eggs but not too thick or heavy. This looks like it was homemade.
- The Hash Browns – were homemade and were good.
- The Bread – the sourdough was a bit too crunchy and next time I would probably ask to swap the bread for the hash browns.
Would we go again?
This would probably not be my first choice for bunch / bene in Feilding, but it is possible that I would go back.
Style: Classic 6/10.
Taste: 7/10. The meal was great.
Originality: 7/10 – For your ‘base’ you have the option of either bread or hash browns. They also have a variation called the hash stack for $17.50. Its comprises of – Hash browns, fried eggs, spinach, grilled tomatoes, bacon, hollandaise. Another variation is the Smoked Salmon Potato cakes which comprise of – smoked salmon & potato cakes, spinach, poached eggs & hollandaise
Value: 5/10. The $17.50 was quite pricy for the quantity of food. I got hash browns on the side which brought my dish to $21.50. The Montreal option looks like an extra $6 which would be very expensive for a Montreal.
Eggs: (how good they were): 7/10.
Overall score: 7/10
Location: 35 Manchester Square, Feilding