The Horseman’s Cafe – http://www.zenbu.co.nz/entry/1134231-the-horsemans-cafe
Reviewed by Fi Fi – March 2015
A cross between a cafe and an equestrian trophy display case, the Horseman’s cafe is clearly a place where you should not judge a book by it’s cover. This small, modest cafe is a wee gem and totally unexpected from a quick glance. A real pleasant surprise, nothing swish.
The service was polite and efficient, but nothing stunning.
The food was beautifully plated, the sprouts and rosemary adding a pleasant touch to the overall look of the dish. I also liked the side of chutney that automatically came with the dish. The chutney on the side was a lovely touch, but too sweet for my liking.
- The Benedict – Overall I was very happy with my meal, factoring in the amazingly cheap price.
- The Muffins – were pretty good.
- The eggs – The eggs were cooked nicely.
- The bacon – huge, satisfying quantity of bacon.
- The Hash Brown – crunchy and good.
- The Spinach – well it was actually rocket lettuce, and it added colour and freshness to the dish.
- The hollandaise – straight from the bottle, but considering the speed the dish came out and the price, the sauce was acceptable as not being home made.
Would we go again?
We absolutely would, especially if we are hungry. The food was plentiful, and tasty and the service matched.
Style: Classic 6/10
Taste: 7/10. The meal was good, nothing special but hot and tasty.
Value: 10/10. The best quantity and quality of food. Definitely value for money here.
Eggs: (how good they were): 6/10.
Overall score: 7/10
19 Plimmer Terrace, Shannon