Reviewed by Fi Fi – January 2015
You can sit inside or outside. You might remember this place which used to be known as ‘The Big Orange’. The cafe was sold last year and they refurbished a pretty bland cafe into a trendy eatery with a wee vibe of its own. There is lots of delicious looking cabinet food and a good varied blackboard menu. The prices are pretty standard. What let’s this place down is that there is not a kids menu and they don’t take credit cards (a wee bit backwards for today’s standards and choices of places to eat out there). A wee saviour is that they do have specials. Unfortunately the coffee was so bad that I could not bare to drink it all…..and they don’t serve hashbrowns as a side!
The service was pretty friendly and the food came out really fast.
The dish looked okay, but not up the the standard I am used to. To be honest the food looked pretty amateur.
- The Benedict – was okay, nothing special.
- The Montreal – there was not a lot of salmon. It tasted okay though.
- The bread – was cold, bland and hard. It was so non eventful that we actually did not eat it all.
- The eggs – were overcooked (not runny) and bordering on the cold side.
- The Spinach – was okay.
- The bacon – was actually nice. There was not a lot of it, but what was served was good.
- The hollandaise – was homemade and the best part of the dish.
Would we go again?
No, I’m afraid I would not. Very disappointing.
Style: Classic 5/10.
Taste: 4/10. Bland.
Value: 6/10. It’s pretty reasonable here. The Benedict and the Montreal were both $16.
Eggs: (how good they were): 3/10. They on the cold side and not runny at all.
Overall score: 4/10
25 Newhaven Way, Whitby, Porirua 5024