Reviewed by Karen – November 2014
This place downsized a few years ago and shares its space with another retailer. They do have quite a variety of food to chose from including our beloved Bene. You can get salad options, Risottos, counter food such as Paninis or muffins, or for the hungry shopper you could always try the curry. The coffee is not bad, the prices are reasonable and once you finish you can wander around the mall for a spot of retail therapy.
The service was very slow. We waited over 45 minutes for our order and there was only two of us in our party. Sadly the speed and service lowered the overall score for this bene.
The dish came out and looked scrumptious.
- The Benedict – was worth waiting for. In the end I reckon they served me the vege option (Spinach and mushrooms) with a bacon side. MMM MMM.
- The eggs – were overcooked for my liking. They came out mostly hard instead of runny.
- The Spinach and Mushrooms – came as part of the vege option. Yum, yum.
- The bacon – was deliciously cooked.
- The hollandaise – was bland in colour and I would be surprised if this was homemade.
- The Hashbrowns – the Agri hashbrowns were homemade. I liked the way they were substituted for bread, a unique twist to the dish.
Would we go again?
I would not rush back here but if I was in the area and hungry I would eat here again.
Style: Classic 6/10.
Taste: 6/10. The taste was delicious.
Originality: 5/10 – I liked the way that the bene came with hashbrowns instead of muffins or bread.
Value: 8/10. It’s value for money here. The Benedict (bacon), Montreal (salmon) or Vege option (mushies and spinach) are all $14.50.
Eggs: (how good they were): 5/10. They were mostly hard.
Overall score: 6/10
84 The Square The Plaza, Palmerston North