Groove Kitchen Expresso – https://www.facebook.com/groovekitchenespresso
Reviewed by Fi Fi – December 2014
You can sit inside or outside this quaint little cafe. They serve Havana coffee although I must admit we (the girls) had had a hard day shoe, clothes and hat shopping so indulged in a vino over our lunch. There is plenty of counter food and a great blackboard menu. You can order breakfast type food such as the classic bene or perhaps a salad if you feel like something good for you. There is no separate kid’s menu, but with all the small/half sized options you don’t actually need it.
The service was friendly and fast. The staff seemed generally interested in complimenting our girlie day.
The dish was bordering on the homemade look, the one you get if you cook it yourself……or if you are kinda over making/serving the dish for the day…..not like some of the photos you find on the net.
- The Montreal – was okay, nothing to excite the tastebuds though.
- The eggs – were okay. They were overdone and not runny.
- The Spinach – came as part of the dish and not a side. The spinach was not cooked and added a freshness to the dish.
- The Salmon – was okay, pity there was not too much of it.
- The Potato Cakes – these were the best part of the dish. It’s a shame that they were slightly warm instead of hot.
- The hollandaise – Straight out of the bottle.
Would we go again?
Yes, but perhaps I would try something else on the menu.
Style: Classic 4/10. The food does not look like the photos on the cafes Facebook page.
Taste: 4/10. It was okay, nothing exciting.
Originality: 5/10 – Nothing out of the ordinary today unless you include the half and full sized options.
Value: 8/10. What I liked about this place is you could get a half portion of either the Benedict or Salmon with spinach (i.e. one egg and one potato cake for $10.50) or a full portion of two of each for $17.50. The sides ranged from $3.50 to $4.50 which is reasonable.
Eggs: (how good they were): 4/10. Overcooked.
Overall score: 5/10
112 Tennyson Street, Napier….XXXXX