Cafe du Parc – http://www.cafeduparc.co.nz/
Reviewed by Fi Fi – June 2014
The super quaint little cafe is a wee gem almost hidden from view at the foot of Mt Kau Kau in Khandallah. It’s actually a small cottage that has been converted into an eatery. They are a kid and dog friendly cafe (with water bowls for your canine friend). There is loads of cabinet food, a kids menu ranging fro, nachos to a ‘lunch box’ containing sandwiches with fruit and a drink and chips and a biscuit. There is seating inside and outside. You can hear the tuis singing in the background. The only thing I would say is that if your party is 6+ people I would consider somewhere else as this place is really small.
The service to actually get served was quick and painless. The coffee’s (which were great and full of flavour) came out fast and were nice and hot. Our food took a very long time to be served to us, especially considering the place was not very busy. The staff were pleasant and friendly.
The presentation was good. The sliver of spring onion was a nice touch and added a zing of colour.
- The Benedict and the Montreal – were okay but nothing to write home about.
- The bacon – good amount of bacon. It was nicely cooked as well.
- The Salmon – was straight out of the packet. Still yummy though!
- The Hash Browns – they looked great but tasted like cold, mashed potatoes with mustard seeds or something in the middle. They were not very warm.
- The Ciabatta – too much butter and should have been toasted (or if it was toasted then it didn’t taste like it).
- The eggs – were okay but were on the cold side.
- The hollandaise – was okay.
Overall, the food took ages and was fairly bland and cold.
Would we go again?
For the coffee and perhaps a scone or muffin but not for the Bene or Montreal.
Style: Classic 6/10
Originality: 6/10 – The Bene, Florentine and Montreal are quite standard but the Mushies version sounds quite delightful.
Value: 8/10 The Benedict is $15. The Montreal is $16.50. Or you can get either mushies or the Florentine for $14.50. The sides range from $2 to $5. The home made hash browns were $3.50 and the chorizo was $5.
Eggs: (how good they were): 9/10. They were cooked to perfection.
Overall score: 5/10
Woodmancote Road, Khandallah, Wellington