Element Cafe – https://www.facebook.com/elementcafe/
Reviewed by FiFi, April 2018
There is ample seating inside and a lovely courtyard outside. There was quite a lot of cabinet food to chose from, platters, salads, vegetarian, dairy and gluten-free. There were three Bene options to chose from. The Benedict (bacon); the Montreal (with salmon and spinach); and an Avocado Smash. Sides range from $1 to $4.50. The atmosphere is relaxing and laid back.
The staff were friendly and helpful and looked liked they were at ease with a busy clientele.
The drizzle of balsamic reduction and the placement of the food to the top of the plate at least gave some resemblance of an attempt to present the food in an appealing manner. Overall, it looked okay, but nothing to write home about.
- The Montreal – the meal was just okay.
- The Eggs – the eggs were slightly overcooked.
- The Salmon – was smoky and tasted good. It was the best part of the dish.
- The Spinach – the tiny amount of spinach was cooked well and added a much needed splash of flavour to the dish.
- The Hollandaise – was minimally drizzled over the eggs and straight from the bottle.
- The bread – was thin, toasted ciabatta and it was rather bland.
Would We Go Again?
I would but I would give other menu options a try before considering another bene.
Style: 5/10 – Classic, but rather boring.
Taste: 5/10 – the meals were okay, nothing special.
Originality: 5/10 – The Avocado Smash looked like a tasty alternative.
Value: 5/10 – the Benes were overpriced for the portion size. The Benedict (bacon) was $16 and the Montreal (salmon) was $18.50. The sides however were reasonably priced ranging from $1 to $4.50. There is also an Avocado Smash for $16.
Overall score: 4/10
26 Victoria Avenue, Whanganui