Backyard Cafe – https://www.palmers.co.nz/palmers-plimmerton/
Reviewed by FiFi, March 2018
Nestled in the heart of a garden shop this cafe is a wee gem. The cafe has plenty of indoor seating as well as sheltered courtyard seating outside. There is plenty of yummy looking fresh cabinet food as well as an extensive blackboard menu to chose from. There are four Bene options that all come with free-range eggs, home-made hollandaise and an english muffin. There is the Benedict (bacon); the Montreal (salmon); Blackstone (ham off the bone and slow roasted tomato); and the Florentine (garlic spinach and slow roasted tomato). The sides ranged from $4.50 to $6.
The service was great. The counter staff were friendly and so were the wait staff. Our food came out swiftly, in fact at the same time as our coffees which was pretty impressive considering the cafe was about three quarters full.
Our food was layered to give visual impact. The fresh spinach added some lovely greenery and the creamy yellow hollandaise added a rich mustardy colour to the plate.
- The Benedict and Montreal – our meals looked and tasted lovely.
- The Eggs – the free-range eggs were warm and runny, just how we like them.
- The Bacon – there was just enough to satisfy the tastebuds of smoky, streaky bacon.
- The Salmon – was rich in flavour and flaky in texture.
- The Kranksys – were flavoursome and yummy.
- The Hash browns – the home-made hash browns were hearty and delicious.
- The Spinach – the raw spinach was lovely and added some freshness to the meal.
- The Hollandaise – the sauce was very tangy, almost too tangy for our liking. The mustard seeds added some colour and texture.
- The English muffins – were okay. Nothing special.
Would We Go Again?
Yes. The atmosphere were relaxing, the staff were friendly and the food was good.
Style: 7/10 – Classic with spinach that came as parti of the dish. It was great to see four bene options.
Taste: 8/10 – the meal was hot and tasty.
Originality: 7/10 – it was great to see you could order ham or bacon.
Value: 9/10 – all 4 options were $17 which is pretty good.
Eggs: 9/10 – the eggs were really good.
Overall score: 9/10 – very delightful meal.
99 St Andrews Road, Plimmerton, Porirua 5026.