Park Kitchen – https://www.facebook.com/parkkitchennz/
Reviewed by FiFi, November 2016
This cafe is fresh, trendy and has a fantastic busy vibe. There is plenty of fresh, aromatic cabinet options to chose from, a kids menu which even had healthy options such as a kids salad and an abundance of menu options to please all palates. There is plenty of seating inside as well as outside. There were essentially seven options. Four came with two poached eggs on toast, hollandaise with either Benedict (ham for $18), Florentine (spinach $17), Vegetarian (mushrooms $17) or Montreal (salmon for $18). The other three options were Hash, one poached egg, hollandaise with either Vegetarian (spinach and mushrooms for $15), Montreal (salmon for $16) or Avocado (for .$16). Extras ranged from $2.50 to $6 which is pretty reasonable.
The staff were friendly enough but I wondered if they had enough rostered on and been given enough training in promptness. Getting our orders taken and delivered took quite a bit of time and the staff seemed to struggle with the volume of patrons.
Our meals were finely presented with a spattering of greenery on top of the eggs to add some colour an d a spot of zest to the dishes. The layering was executed beautifully.
- The Benedict and Montreal – both our dishes were scrumptious. Mine needed two eggs instead of one (which would have cost $5 for egg and sauce lifting the price to a whopping $21).
- The Eggs – the free-range eggs were full of flavour, runny and warm. Just how we like them.
- The Bacon – was free-range, slightly salty and smoky was delicious.
- The Salmon – there was ample salmon on the plate considering my Montreal only came with one egg.
- The Hash – on the side or under your egg. The PK hash was crunchy and lip-smacking albeit a bit overdone.
- The Avocado – we both got a half each which is pretty good considering some places only serve 3 slices for a side.
- The Hollandaise – we both found the portion size minimal, however the creamy, rich full colour and flavour was decadent.
- The Bread – was lightly toasted and brushed with minimal butter which added to its crispiness.
Would We Go Again?
We would go again but I would try something else.
Style: 7/10 – Classic with a twist
Taste: 8/10 – the taste was pretty good.
Originality: 7/10 – the rosti option was great but not unique.
Value: 5/10 – the prices were expensive.
Eggs: 7/10 – the eggs were full of flavour, runny and warm.
Overall score: 7/10
6 Park Road, Miramar, Wellington 6022