Sweet Vanilla Kitchen – https://www.facebook.com/Sweet-Vanilla-Kitchen-114848335285366/
Reviewed by Karen – March 2016
This quaint cafe won NZ Cafe of the Year 2016. It’s kind of off the beaten track (not on the main road), but very worth weaving your way through the back streets to find. With its varied menu and vast range of counter food this was a delight to find. You can sit inside or outside. There are toys for the kids to play with. This cafe buys local and NZ produce including pandoro bread, Zany Zeus cheese and park Ave Meats. Everything looks, smells and tastes fresh.
The place was busy on a sunny Sunday morning and we were warned it would be an hour wait. We were not worried because we had plenty to catch up on. We were delighted when our meals arrived in a bout half an hour. Always better to under promise and over deliver than the other way around.
This was nicely plated and the sprig of rocket added some good colour. Home made hollandaise and a few swirls across the plate added panache.
- The Benedict – This meal was scrumptious. I could barely wait to eat this once it arrived.
- The Eggs – free-range, were cooked beautifully, and runny like I like them.
- The Bacon – was smoky and crunchy and sat well with the homemade hash browns.
- The Spinach – was cooked to perfection, not soggy!
- The Hollandaise – homemade, it was simply delicious and complimented thw rest of the dish.
- The Hash browns – ‘everything from scratch on our premises’ including the homemade hash browns. These had a crisp outer texture.
Would we go again?
Not for the Montreal, but definitely for the $10 lunch options.
Style: Classic 7/10.
Taste: 8/10. The meal was scrumptious.
Originality: 9/10 – What makes this cafe’s bene options unique is one of the variances you can chose…..you can have Bushman’s mince, also the Bene (with either ham or bacon), Montreal (salmon) or Florentine (spinach).
Value: 9/10. $16 for all options. You can either have english muffins or gluten free hash browns.
Eggs: (how good they were): 8/10.
Overall score: 8/10
Location: 49 Pretoria Street, Lower Hutt